A bad end

It is reported that Osama bin Laden has been killed by U.S. military action.

This man is responsible for the death of thousands, and the reactions to his actions have killed many thousands more. NBC News is calling it “breathtaking.” 9/11/01 and its many victims took my breath away; this does not.

Many will celebrate; I cannot. If any deserve death for their crimes, Osama bin Laden surely did. I have suffered with my neighbors. I have walked through the ruins he made. I have cared for the remains of his victims, and grieved with those who survived his attacks. Let the names of his victims be remembered. Let their lives be lifted up.

I am glad Osama bin Laden no longer has the ability to do harm. His life has been soaked in blood. Yet I am sorry to see his end come in still more violence. Despite all its complications, I wish he could have had the trial we – the civilized world – so richly deserved.

But that is apparently done. There will be a parade of images, his body will be displayed, and many will be glad to call this the end of his story.

May God have mercy on his soul.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which healing? Fourth Sunday after Pentecost

Who do you think you are?

Up in the Air - Sermon for Easter 7